Trade waste banner

What is Trade waste?

Trade waste is any liquid waste (and substance contained in it) generated by any industry, business, trade or manufacturing process, other than residential domestic waste, acceptable for discharge to sewer. Residential Domestic waste is water from toilets, sinks, showers, basins and washing machines within households discharging to sewer. For more details please view the Trade Waste brochure.

Trade Waste and your responsibility: The Water Act (1989) requires any commercial business or industry discharging trade waste to a sewer to have an agreement, either in the form of consent or formalised signed trade waste agreement with Westernport Water. The agreement outlines the conditions under which Westernport Water will permit the discharge of trade waste to its sewerage reticulation systems.

The Essential Service Commission (ESC) has developed a Trade Waste Customer Service Code  that provides an obligation for Westernport Water to manage all trade waste discharges to the sewerage reticulation systems. The ESC’s Code requires that Westernport Water have a Trade Waste Customer Charter that provides for different types of agreements for the different customer classifications and categories of trade waste discharge.

  • Category 1 – Deemed Trade Waste Customers – Provides for a generic deemed trade waste consent for small trade waste dischargers.
  • Category 2 – Greasy or Commercial Minor Trade Waste Customers – Provides a Corporation signed consent to discharge greasy or oily discharges of trade waste
  • Category 3 – Major Trade Waste Customers – Provides for large volume or discharge of chemicals or compounds as stated in the Approved Acceptance Criteria for a signed trade waste agreement.

The owner or managing agent of a business generating trade wastewater has a legal obligation to ensure the business obtains permission to discharge trade wastewater to a sewer. If your business does not comply with the guidelines set out in the trade waste application for consent and/or agreement then the sewer connection for your business could be disconnected and you could be held liable for damages and maintenance repairs.

To guide the use of the Trade Waste Customer Charter and to provide fairness in the way Westernport Water treats its customers a Trade Waste Management Policy was created and approved by Westernport Water’s Board.

Please complete the General Trade Waste Application Form and return it to Westernport Water. Please contact our Trade Waste Officer for any assistance.

Commercial or industrial customers that discharge trade waste of a similar nature to domestic sewerage and a low volume containing neither chemicals or fats or oils will be assumed to be a deemed consent customer. They will be subject to an Agreement after they have completed the Application Form in the form of a  Generic Deemed Consent . Existing customers will be granted this ‘Deemed Consent’ type of Trade Waste Agreement.

Generally customers that operate the following will fall into this Category.

  • Food business classified under the Food Act 1984 as Class 4
  • Chemist / Pharmacy
  • Doctors Surgery or Dental or Veterinary Clinic (excluding those with automated x-ray machines or for Vets kennel wash down areas)
  • Florist
  • Hairdresser / Beautician
  • Accommodation Homes / Hotels / B&B (Less than 10 residents)
  • Opticians
  • Funeral Parlours
  • Sandwich and/or Coffee Shop – No hot food
  • Shops – excluding food shops

Customers that discharge Trade Waste that is likely to have grease or oil or food or substances from food preparation contained in the waste will require a Trade Waste Consent signed by Westernport Water. This Consent outlines conditions for discharging greasy or commercial waste including installing and maintaining appropriate on site treatment. They will specify the required grease interceptor trap or similar oil or fat removal equipment including the maintenance of the treatment system. A Standard type of Agreement may be viewed here Category 2 Greasy or Commercial Minor Trade Waste Agreement. Customers will need to make application using the General Trade Waste Application Form.

Ensuring regular cleaning and removal of accumulated grease and oil from your interceptor is your responsibility and must be carried out by an Environment Protection Authority (EPA) licensed transporter. Your trade waste agreement will specify the required frequency that business owners are required to have pre-treatment apparatus cleaned out. Westernport Water can help provide efficiencies for business and organise the services of an EPA licensed contractor to collect and dispose of minor commercial greasy trade waste. Alternatively owners can organise their own grease/oil interceptor traps clean-out and provide evidence to Westernport Water of regular pump-outs. If you require Westernport Water trade waste services please contact Westernport Water on 1300 720 711.

Generally customers that operate the following will fall into this Category.

  • agribusiness
  • bakeries
  • butchers
  • cafeterias/canteens
  • chemical plants
  • clubs with food preparation
  • coffee and sandwich shops
  • delicatessen
  • doughnut shops
  • dry cleaners
  • electroplaters
  • food production premises
  • function centres (commercial and private)
  • halls with food preparation
  • hospitals
  • hostels
  • hotels/motels with food preparation
  • ice-cream parlours
  • laboratories (schools and commercial)
  • laundromats
  • livestock saleyards
  • mechanical workshops
  • medical
  • nursing homes
  • panel beating/spray painting
  • petrol depots
  • photo laboratory/chemical
  • premises with garbage wash areas
  • public swimming pools
  • reception centres
  • restaurants/cafes
  • service stations
  • tanneries/wool scourers
  • takeaway food premises
  • treated timber products
  • vehicle detailers
  • vehicle retail outlets
  • vehicle wash centres.

Business owners who recognise their business as being one of those listed above are required to apply for consent to discharge commercial trade waste by completing the General Trade Waste Application Form.

These customers will be discharging large volumes over 1000 kilolitres per annum or chemicals or compounds up to the limits as stated in the Approved Acceptance Criteria to Westernport Water’s sewerage system. These customers will require a Trade Waste Agreement signed and agreed by both parties to the Agreement. To obtain a copy of the standard agreement showing what will be considered click here.  Customers will also need to make application using the General Trade Waste Application Form.

ESC Statement of Approved Acceptance Criteria for Trade Waste Discharge

In accordance with the ESC Trade Waste Customer Service Code, Westernport Water is required to follow set parameters that limit the concentration of waste allowed for discharge into the sewerage system. The following tables list the three wastewater treatment plants in the area (Cowes, King Road, Kilcunda/Dalyston) and the maximum allowed concentration of waste for each. Please note that any trade waste discharge will require an application using the General Trade Waste Application Form.

ESC Statement of Approved Acceptance Criteria

Cleaner production and waste minimisation

The EPA provides the following waste hierarchy which Westernport Water fully supports (in order of preference):

  • avoidance
  • reuse
  • recycling
  • recovery of energy
  • treatment
  • containment
  • disposal.

In some cases Westernport Water will require businesses to prepare waste management plans. These plans will need to focus on the sources of wastes, waste minimisation and treatment of trade waste.
Here are some tips to consider in your daily business activities which will help to reduce greasy waste, protect the environment and save you money:

  • wipe before washing
  • pour used oil into containers for recycling
  • use less cooking oil where you can
  • collect food scraps for composting
  • use less detergent
  • sweep floors before washing or hosing
  • ensure that NO OIL goes down the drain.

Grease/oil interceptors (traps)

The purpose of a grease or oil interceptor is to trap grease and oil at the source and prevent it entering the sewerage system where it may cause blockages. Depending on the type of business, other types of pre-treatment may also be required. Westernport Water can assist businesses to determine what sort of pre-treatment is required or whether an existing trap needs to be upgraded. A registered plumber will need to be engaged to carry out works such as this.