Land for Sale sign in front of water

Land development

Subdivisional developments

Planning permit process

After submitting a planning application, council will submit the request to relevant ‘referral authorities’.  Westernport Water will assess the application and advise council of any conditions for Water, Wastewater and recycled water that we believe need to be placed on the planning permit. Once all of the referral authorities have responded to the application, council will collate the conditions and issue a planning permit.

Should construction be required to supply your development with water or sewerage services, please contact Westernport Water’s Development Team for further information.
Phone: 1300 720 711

A Developers Application form will need to be completed as well as payment of the Application Fee of $173.65

New Customer Contributions

New customer contributions recover part of the cost of constructing assets such as storages, pumping stations, treatment plants, water mains and outfall sewers.  These contributions apply to each additional lot created by subdivision or connected to the supply system, including body corporate, multi-unit and dual occupancy developments.

The new customer contribution charges for 2018-19 are $1030.20 for water and $726.56 for sewer.

Commercial / industrial developments

Major developments requiring larger sized water and sewerage infrastructure, including fire services, should not proceed without consideration from the Development team. Special conditions may be required, including New Customer Contributions for increased services.

These developments may include:

  • Construction of a new building such as unit development
  • Extension of water and/or sewer mains

Please contact the Development team for further information on 1300 720 711
or email |

Planning on doing work on your property?

If you are doing extension’s, landscaping or installing a swimming pool, you will need to ensure you have the location of the water and sewer assets before commencing work to prevent costly damage to Westernport Water’s water supply, sewer or recycled water assets. Contact us to find out if you need an approval to erect any structure in or over an water or sewer asset.

What you need to do?

Q. How do I locate the water, sewerage and recycled water assets?

A. To locate the water, sewerage and recycled water assets you can submit an Asset Request Form.

Q. How do I request a property sewerage plan?

A. To find general information on the location of the internal sewer, please contact our Development team on 1300 720 711 or complete the online request form for a property sewerage plan.

Q. How do I lodge an application with ‘Dial before you dig’?

A. Dial Before You Dig is a referral service for information on locating underground utilities anywhere in Australia.

Visit their website or phone 1100 during office hours.

Work near assets and easements

Before conducting works or building near water, sewer mains or easements in Westernport Water’s service region, you need to obtain the necessary approvals.

Information for building over easements

Approvals are required to erect any structure in or over the easement of an asset. Westernport Water requires access to our easements and assets. If you intend to build over an easement or build within 1.0 metre of a water supply, sewerage or recycled water asset, you are required to obtain Westernport Water’s approval by completing the online Build Over Easement Request form.

Once you have filled in the online request form, we will contact you asking for a detailed site plan with in-depth information such as;

  • Location and height of the proposed structure
  • Measurements from all site boundaries
  • Depth of proposed footings

Pressure and flow information

Westernport Water can provide the pressure and flow information that may be required for the designing of fire services. To obtain this information please submit a Pressure and Flow Information Application – 2018-2019.

Please contact the Development team for further information on 1300 720 711 or email |

Backflow prevention

Westernport Water is committed to protecting the health and welfare of our customers by ensuring their drinking supply is protected from cross contamination or backflow.

What is backflow?

Backflow is the reverse flow of water into pipes. It presents a hazard when your water supply is unintentionally interconnected with a source of contamination. This contaminated water can then enter the main drinking water supply.

How is backflow prevented?

Installing a backflow prevention device ensures that water from a property cannot be drawn back into the main drinking water supply. There are a number of different backflow prevention devices available. The type of device required will depend on the risk rating of the property with the potential hazard.

Who is responsible?

It is the property owner’s responsibility to ensure that the correct backflow device is installed on their property. A licensed backflow plumber can inspect premises and advise the property owner of the appropriate backflow prevention device(s) needed.

Please contact the Development team for further information on 03 5956 4100 / 1300 720 711 or email

Forms for developers, property connections and more.

Please note you may need to lodge an application and pay a fee prior to commencement of works. All forms show the application fee payable and timeframes required to process your application. If you require further help or would like to speak to a on of our Development Team please call 1300 720 11.


As a detailed investigation is required in most cases, please allow for the following response times:
• Land Servicing Advice: 30 business days
• Other Authority’s Works: 14 business days

When contacting us or seeking advice.

Please provide the following:
• A design/site plan
• Full property street address/Lot & Plan number
• Map reference
• Your contact details

Any additional information relating to the project which may assist:
• Fixture unit count
• Pressure & flow advice
• Pump curve diagram
• Required flow rate

Contact 1300 720 711 or email